Saturday, January 31, 2015

A Prayer Quilt

Recently, a co-worker has had a serious health issue. I wanted to let her know I was thinking and praying for her. I thought I would whip up a simple quilt and add ties to knot for a reminder of all the people that have said a prayer for her. I shopped my stash first and came across these 6 inch squares that I didn't use in this project. To tell the truth, I didn't know I had them. lol There were just enough squares pre-cut that I didn't have to cut or buy anymore. Prefect! Plus, I know her, but not well enough to say what her favorite color(s) are and I figured, I've never heard anyone say they don't like rainbows, so a rainbow color scheme was as good as any!
The quilt seamed a little small, even for a lab quilt, so I still had extra of the fabrics I had used, cut to about 3-5 inches in width and the length of a fat quarter. All these fabrics were each a fat quarter at one time. The boarders added just enough to make it a nice sized lap quilt and not too heavy for her to take with her to treatments.

The finished quilt top.
 
For the batting I used warm and natural cotton batting. I had a piece laying around that I barley had to cut. The backing fabric is something I've had for years and it was just enough to make the backing and binding. Then I did some research and found the color blue would have special meaning for her. I search through my embroidery floss and low and behold, blue embroidery floss! I was beginning to think "someone" was helping me along with this quilt with having just enough fabric to complete everything and not having to buy anything for the quilt. I started this quilt last Friday night gathering fabrics and sewing Saturday and Sunday, then finishing burying threads and pulling the ties through on Monday night. As I put the ties in and knotted them I said a different prayer for her for each knot. I left the rest of the tie loose and put in her card to have her family, friends, doctors and nurses say a prayer and tie a knot. Then when all the ties are full of knots, she can feel all the prayers that have been said for her.



Sorry these are not the best pictures, I took them with my ipod not my good camera.
 

Tuesday morning I handed off the quilt to her daughter. Wednesday I heard back that my co-worker LOVED it! Her whole family thought it was such a wonderful idea with saying a prayer and putting a knot in the ties.

On a side note: I have been really enjoying learning my new job but it's hard to squeeze in sewing when my brain has been spinning all afternoon. I hope to try to squeeze in more sewing/blogging as I get into more of a routine at work and at home.

Linking up to Crazy Mom Quilts.

Thanks for Reading!
Hollie-Just a Mom who Sews

1 comment:

  1. What a lovely, thoughtful quilt for you to gift!! It turned out so nice, and your coworker will be sure to think of you every time she uses it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful comment! I love hearing from everyone near and far! If you don't receive a reply, check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.