Friday, November 28, 2014

Pincushion gift

My dear friend asked me way, way back in June if I would make her mother, who just happens to be a fabulous seamstress, a pincushion with a thread catcher. Being a good friend, I said, "Sure! What color/design?" She said, "Green, my Mom loves green!" Fast forward to two weeks ago and I remembered I think I'm suppose to be making something for someone. Then BOOM! it hits me, a pincushion for my friend's Mother for Christmas. Great, I have an upcoming appointment that is very near her house, I can just swing by and drop it off to her. After shopping my stash, which is wonderful, I can't begin to tell you how exciting it is not to have to run to the fabric store for small projects. I browsed Pinterest, my favorite time suck, for a tutorial and Wah-La! I found one here.

I modified the sizing a bit, just because my pieces were an inch or so off in a spot or two. Along with that, I used that rubbery, bottom of footed pjs material (I'm sure this is the very technical name) to help keep the pincushion in place. I also filled my pincushion with crushed black walnuts. Here is the completed pincushion with thread catcher. I really like it, I thought about keeping it for myself, but I decided to hand it over to my friend. ;)

 See how good it looks hanging on my treadle sewing machine?
Back of pincushion with the rubbery non-slip material
 
Have you ever made something as a gift and then thought about keeping it for yourself?


Thanks for reading!
Just a Mom who Sews

2 comments:

  1. That's such a neat idea! I love the fabrics choices x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, all the time! I know I shouldn't, but dang! sometimes I love what I make so much it's really hard to give away. LOL. I like what you did here, it looks so nice. Now you have an excuse to make another one for yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful comment! I love hearing from everyone near and far! If you don't receive a reply, check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.