Sunday, June 29, 2014

Shipshewana Bus Trip 2014 part 1

Whew! What a day/weekend it has been. I promised photos from the trip so in this post I will show all the pictures I took at the actual Shipshewana Quilt Show. More on the shopping later ;)
My tastes where very different from the judges of this show. But hey that's what makes the world go round and then different quilts have chances to win at different shows, right?
This quilt was my very favorite quilt of all the quilts there. I DID vote for it as the fan favorite, I do hope it won!!
 View from the side. It was hard to get a photo of this quilt with so many people admiring it.
I just love the swirling color affect. The note posted said a 4 degree rotation on the squares. That sounds complicated. Different styles of compasses were displayed on the edges of the quilt.
Here is another quilt that I liked at the show that wasn't a winner in the judges eyes, but I would have put it in the winner's circle...
The top winner at this years' Shipshewana's Quilt show was a piece called Rising Ferns.
It's beautifully done, just not my style. Bling was in this year. Lots of winners had sequins, rhinestones, etc. on their quilts. I like the modern, but simply stated quilts. I actually liked the back of the quilt better then the front, go figure. Does anyone else see Octopus's arms coming out of the water or is it just me?
 
These quilts were also in the winner's circle, these I liked, but still not as much as my fan favorite choice...
 I liked the orange,teal and green in this quilt. Not a common color combo in quilts.
The name of this quilt was One A-Maze-ing quilt. It made me laugh. I could spend hours looking for the end of the maze.
I am not a huge fan of black background quilts, but this one I did like. I really liked the quilting in a variegated rainbow thread. I must have been in a rainbow mood on Saturday. My favorites are the rainbow ones. Here is a close up of the thread/quilting

 
Finally they had Quilts of Valor on the cars at the Hudson Car Museum. Each quilt was very different from each other. From very simple to take your breath away complicated. I was too busy looking at the quilts and okay, I'll admit it, some of the cars too, to take any pictures of the ones on the cars. Here is one that was hanging up with the winners of the show. I think it just says America and Freedom to me.
Well that's it for my opinion on the Shipshewana Quilt Show. I'd go again next year in a heartbeat. Bus Trip 2015 anyone?

Thanks for reading,
Just a Mom who Sews
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your wonderful comment! I love hearing from everyone near and far! If you don't receive a reply, check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.