Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Christmas Table Runner

Whew! Just finished my last Christmas present! It's only Christmas Eve but this one isn't due until Saturday. ;) This gift is for my very dearest friend in the world. She is simply the Best! and we are two peas in a pod when we are together. In November we went on our annual Us Only Weekend to an outlet mall. She ohhed and awed over a burlap table runner printed all in red. She finally decided that it was too long and didn't buy it. (This is when my crafty brain started humming with how can I make this for her for Christmas?) Half a yard of burlap, matching thread and red fabric paint from Joann's and left over green fabric paint and brushes from another recent project here. Of course I used my lightbox stenciling tutorial to create this project.
(Note: She LOVED it!)

Here is a quick tutorial of how I went about creating my Christmas Table Runner.

First, I surged the edges of the burlap with matching thread.

I printed out the words that I wanted to use in a font I liked. Sorry, I don't remember the font. It is a basic font in Word.

I cut them apart so I could line them up on the lightbox in a straight line. I liked the look of the words 2 1/2 inches apart. I marked a line on the paper where I liked the words from the bottom edge to keep a straight line across the project. This also kept me from having to re-measure each time I moved the burlap. I also used my fabric weights to hold the burlap in place as I painted.


Here is my supplies: red and green paint, two paintbrushes and two random lids from food containers. I love using them as paint holders because they are free, throw away-able and I always have tons of them on hand.


I turned my light box on and went to work.
For a half yard of burlap I was able to get seven rotations of my three words. Love it that it just worked out perfectly!
If you have any questions feel free to email me or leave them in the comments below.

Linking up with Finish it Friday.

Thanks for reading!
Just a Mom who Sews

3 comments:

  1. What a clever idea - and how lovely to be making something that you know your friend is going to love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is impressive. I don't work with burlap, stencils or paint, so I'm blown away. I'm sure that your friend loved her gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and thoughtful gift - just bet your friend loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your wonderful comment! I love hearing from everyone near and far! If you don't receive a reply, check to see if you are a no-reply blogger.